Today’s post is part of Habitat for Humanity’s Home Is The Key campaign. When Habitat for Humanity asked me to help bring awareness to the rising affordable housing crisis we are facing as a nation, I didn’t hesitate to help spread the word. My home means so much to me, as I’m sure yours does to you. It’s hard to think about all the people who struggle every day in this country, without a safe haven to call their own.
My kitchen, shown here – is the Key to our home. Like so many of you – we consider our kitchen to be the heart of our home. Our kitchen is a warm and welcoming place to gather as a family, to talk, to celebrate – sometimes it’s just to grab a quick bite and run and other times it’s a place to slow down and create lasting memories. Without a place to call our own, it’s hard to imagine how stressful our daily lives would be.
That’s where Habitat for Humanity comes in. Habitat for Humanity does not just provide houses for families to live in. They provide a home for families to create memories. A place for families to feel safe and take pride in. A place to call their own!
Here are some alarming facts…
- One in four household in the United States spends more than 30% of their income on housing. Which doesn’t leave very much to cover other basic needs such as food and clothing.
- It’s almost impossible for a full-time employee earning minimum wage afford a one-bedroom apartment in the United States.
Here’s how we can all help:
- DONATE: Visit the Habitat for Humanity website and make a donation.
- SHOP: Several corporate sponsors have generously offered to make donations when you purchase certain items from their stores. Some of these items would make GREAT Mother’s Day gifts~!
- At Home Stores: In addition to featuring Habitat for Humanity as the registered fundraiser throughout April, At Home will sell specialty patio umbrellas and spring coaster sets in store to give back to Habitat for Humanity.
- Chico’s: Every sale of the basic essential slub tee from April 1 – May 31 will support Habitat.
- White House Black Market: Proceeds from every Comfort Stretch Ankle Pant sold April 23-May 31 will go to Habitat.
- Soma Intimates: From April 23-May 31, each Cool Night Pajama separate sold will support Habitat.
- O’Cedar: From April 1 – June 15, O’Cedar will donate $1 to Habitat for Humanity for every ProMist® Max spray mop sold.
- Kum & Go Convenience Stores: 10 cents of every specially marked water bottle sold will be donated to Habitat to Humanity, and customers will have the opportunity to donate additional funds at checkout.
- SHARE: You don’t even have to spend any money to make a donation! Nissan will donate $1 every time #HomeIsTheKey is shared on social media in April. So start please start tweeting, Instagramming, and Facebooking! It’s that easy! Thanks so much!
Schneider Electric, HGTV, and iHeart are also helping to spread the word.
Habitat For Humanity has provided me with a small nonprofit fee in exchange for participating in the Home Is The Key campaign. However, all opinions are 100% my own. I fully support this amazing cause!