It’s the third week of the One Room Challenge (here’s week one and week two) or as I like to keep telling myself, it’s the half way mark! I’m renovating the kitchen in the house that we’ll be moving into and just to add to the drama, our big move is happening right around the same time this challenge wraps…(The kitchen is actually one of several rooms being renovated, you can see progress on those via my Instagram account @zhush.)
The biggest news this week: the marble was installed! And, the cabinets were painted! Also, the carved legs on the center island were removed, making the island feel a lot more modern, and finally the glass doors were modernized as well.
BIG difference, right?
I’m working with Muse Interiors (again) otherwise, what’s left of my sanity would be long gone… speaking of gone, have you noticed that the fridge and freezer are gone?
That’s because this week there were a few more bumps in the renovation road.
Those stainless steel doors (to replace the wood cabinet fridge doors) that I had my heart set on are not as easily installed as we first thought.
The current refrigerator and fridge are discontinued and well, long, annoying details later— I refuse to give this wish list item up.
It’s a major focal point and a big part of what I love about my current kitchen, so I decide to pull money from other budgets in other rooms in order to get two new stainless refrigerators installed in the kitchen.
Lauren persuades me to go for the brass hardware, which I do! I elect to take it even further with my new resolve that the center island must have a killer goose neck brass bridge faucet and instant hot water (just like the one Brooke Giannetti used in the image above). I’m told there’s a huge lead time, but I don’t care. I’ve already lost my farm house sink…I’m willing to roll the decor dice on this one. Can you blame me?
Finally, there’s one more little bump in the road, the new brass hardware bin pulls (of course had my heart set on these) don’t quite work with the mill work on the drawers, making it hard for adult size hands to get in there. After some hemming and hawing, I give in to using the sleek long handles above, on the horizontal…those will be installed (hopefully) next week.
Here’s a recap of my “to do” list.
Replace center island lights with current kitchen lights.
2. Black granite counter tops are going. I love the look of our white marble counters, I’m hoping to find something just as nice.
3. Paint the kitchen cabinets white.
a. The same holds true for that dark center island-paint it white.
b. And losing the heavy look of those center island “legs”.
4. That backsplash is going too. *Beautiful chevron white glass tiles ordered!
5. Hoping to switch out doors on current fridge and freezer for stainless steel doors. Not so easy…two new refrigerators on order!
6. Stain floors a deep dark brown.
7. I would love to have a farm house sink just like our current one. Hoping to make this happen. * not happening. ** gorgeous brass faucet and instant hot water ordered!
8.Expand the little built in garbage to two pails instead of one. Move the second dishwasher from butler’s pantry to kitchen.
9. Painting the walls a complimentary color. Probably a pale greige/gray. *Paint color chosen!
10. Change the hardware…thinking unlacquered brass. Ordered! And then re-ordered.
11. Change the glass cabinet doors to look a bit more modern.
12. Replace”breakfast” area light fixture with our current fixture.
13. And, finally, I’m hoping to add a “hot water” faucet. Ordered!
Be sure to check out what all the other “ORC” ladies are up to this week!